Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: 6041; 9861; 9862 ???

  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member Carl Bill's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 28th, 2005
    Location
    Limestone Oklahoma
    Posts
    200
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Question

    Anyone have any information on any of these Altec models? I see they are on some Japanese sites, but I had not heard of them in the US. Anyone know if these models were even sold in teh USA?

    Some of these look like they could have potential for HT and home stereo use. I have most of the parts (except for the odd horns/drivers). I assume active crossoves could be utilized if the Altec's are not available.

    Anyone ever hear a pair of any of these models? Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member GM's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 26th, 2002
    Location
    Chamblee, Ga.
    Posts
    4,967
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    48 Post(s)

    Post

    Greets!

    I only know what's on this site: http://www.fsinet.or.jp/~ash-k/%83t%...3%80124964.htm Obviously you can 'clone' a speaker or design one to suit your needs if you can find the parts, so after I ~'cloned' an 820 and A7 to see how they did in a Hi-Fi app I didn't see much point in continuing down that path, and with the advent of reasonably inexpensive digital XOs/EQ and HTPCs, anybody can be a 'pro' XO designer/installer.

    GM

  3. #3
    Inactive Member Richard C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    December 7th, 2002
    Posts
    229
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    The model 6041 sure looks like a UREI model. A 416, a 604, and a 6041-ST tweeter. What the heck is a 6041-ST tweeter??? Awhile back, someone said they look like refrigerators, but I think they have a nice retro look.

    Richard C.

  4. #4
    Inactive Member altec9862's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 3rd, 2005
    Posts
    1
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Here are some info about Altec 9862 and 9861. I'm saying it is not 100% correct, but not too fast. Hope someone amend it if I say wrong.
    9861 is smaller brother of 9862. Both of them are studio monitor series. 9862-9862 is the flapship of this series. Both drivers are difference, and the size a little bit bigger. In about 1978, JBL got a well known studio monitor 4343. Janpanese are very happy in using 4343 for home listening, but they found the HF level is not right! And they know the engineer of JBL was came from Altec Lencing. The 4343 could sound better if done by Altec. So a number of audiophiles of Janpanese made a special order from Altec. Hope they can based on 4343 to pro
    duce a new speaker that can sound better.

    http://hk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/kin.../ph//my_photos

    Altec 9862 was first produced in around the end of 1979. So we can't find this model in other countries. Some pairs can be found in few countries near Janpan.
    Happy listening!

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member LICORNE's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 23rd, 2004
    Posts
    1,603
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

    Post

    Hi

    THe tweeter on the 9862 is model 950 .It's a big driver tweeter.Nothing I"ve eaver seen before.

    The tweeter part looks like it's glued to this big driver.
    THere's a red dot in the middle looks a bit like a Fostex.

    ........................................

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.